Like anything in life taking the time and research to choose, is often the right step towards increasing purchase satisfaction. When choosing a car you might look and visit the car in the showroom perhaps 2-3 times before purchasing. The average individual will spend 40 hours per week working without dreaded overtime, so with a 48 week year minusing holiday the average individual will work 1920 hours per year, and then for how many years? Therefore, when it comes to choosing an item that will be used for countless hours, it is vitally important that the chair facilitates good posture, spinal alignment, lumbar support and reduces muscle fatigue. For an item that will be used so frequently it is imperative we choose wisely to actively promote our physical health.
When choosing a new office chair it is vitally crucial to know what you want the chair to assist you with. Below are a few bullet points of common credentials posted for an office chair.
- Material: Now perhaps not one of the first things that comes to mind but the chair material is definitely a factor that is overlooked. The material can greatly affect the breathability and ultimately your comfort. Nowadays a lot of leather chairs are created using premium bonded leather which is paired with high density cushioning which greatly helps with air circulation. Or equally you could choose mesh which has greater breathability and ventilation.
- Lumbar Support: One huge factor that your chair needs is lumbar support, whether that is well positioned high density cushioning or resilient mesh which moulds to your body, this will greatly increase support to your spine, reducing muscle fatigue and later down the lower back problems.
- Ergonomic Design: these days everyone can market their chair as ergonomic, but choosing an ergonomically designed chair is definitely an advantage as it will have been thoroughly tested and designed to offer the greatest support, with many more features and feature adjustments. Although more expensive the quality and longevity usually outlast the majority of other office chairs.
- Adjustability: Every user is different so an office chair that provides features which can be adjusted quickly and effortlessly is a must. Height adjustment is a given with every chair nowadays but with armrest adjustability, tilt lock recline mechanisms and neck rests all the range, office chairs have been greatly advanced in recent years to accommodate greater support for the user. Some users never use armrests like myself but for me an adjustable chair back is a necessity. So create a must list and stick to it.
- Size: Humans come in many shapes and sizes so ensuring the chair suits you can be quickly done by taking a few personal measurements such as, weight, hip width, upper leg length and torso height. By taking these measurements you can quickly whittle down the options to a select few chairs and then go from there.
Now the above bullet points are just a small amount of possible requirements a user might want to focus upon when buying a chair, but of course everyone is different. Below are a couple of questions and recommendations for increased comfort and product longevity to look out for in the long term.
- When sat down can you have your thighs comfortably parallel to the floor
- Does the chair back promote an upright posture?
- Are the armrests positioned or able to be adjusted to place your elbows comfortably
- Are the chair wheels durable (often the first thing needed to replace)
- Is the chair base stable and easily manoeuvrable
- Can the chair be easily repaired/ does the company have good customer service.
When asking these questions of the chair it can often help with your choice. Nowadays most shopping is done online and a picture of video is definitely worth a thousand words so just double check and see if they allow trial periods.
Lastly I hope these questions and recommendations helped? Please comments below and let me know what you thought. Bestoffice offers all purchases a 1 year warranty, with a 30 day unconditional refund policy.